English French German Italian Polish Portuguese Russian Spanish


  • roughsleeping

    Path has secured government funding, with PCC, to work on improving property standards in Plymouth - Read more

  • torbay

    We are pleased to be working with Crisis to pilot lodgings in Plymouth and Teignbridge. Leaflet here


What size property do you need?


You will need to think realistically about what size property you require for your needs. For example if you are a single person looking for accommodation you would usually look for a one bedroom flat. If you are going to be claiming housing benefit in your new property you will need to know what size property you will be entitled to. Housing Benefit offers the following guidelines, which you may choose to use even if you will not be claiming housing benefit. This will offer a good starting point from which to make your own decisions about what the government thinks is the right size property for you.

The number of rooms allowed for a property is as follows: One bedroom for each of the following, counting each person once only.

  • A couple who live together
  • A person aged 16 or over
  • 2 Children of the same sex (any age up until 16)
  • 2 Children under 10
  • A single child (a 'child' is someone under 16)

Claiming Housing Benefit and under 35?

If you are single and under 35, with no partner or children living with you, Housing Benefit will also decide how much is generally paid in the 'locality' for a single room with a shared living room, kitchen, bathroom and toilet. Under Local Housing Allowance rules, this shows as a shared room rate. If you want to understand more about the single room rent you can contact the local housing benefit department.


Housing Benefit
Revenues & Benefits Service
Corporate Resources
Civic Centre

Phone: 01752 304889
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


iconAccredited by Plymouth City Council

Landlords Needed!

iconIf you are a Landlord or Agent, and you have a room spare to rent, then feel free to contact us, or to download our information pack.

Hardship Support

iconThere is no longer a Social Fund; local authorities will fund and provide information and support for Plymouth & Teignbridge